iFLY high school STEM field trips use iFLY’s unique vertical wind tunnel facility to make STEM exciting, relevant, and accessible to all students. Our curriculum has been designed by teachers and STEM professionals to support STEM learning in your classroom.
- Download a full color 2-page brochure to share with parents and administrators
- Our Teacher Guide describes the field trip experience in detail and lists the learning standards for your state
- Download the full standards alignment for your grade level
- Show your students this pre-field trip presentation to orient them to what they will experience. The last slide contains a script for you, so you don’t have to worry about preparing anything in advance!
- Take a peek at the slides our STEM Educators use in our interactive presentation
- Download the lab worksheet in advance to see what our hands-on lab covers
- Our post-field trip activities packet will help you reinforce what your students learned at iFLY
- We’ve put together a great list of online resources as well. These videos, web pages, games, and activity suggestions are all related to the STEM concepts covered in our field trips.
Every Field Trip Includes:
iFLY educators introduce STEM concepts related to the wind tunnel, including:
- iFLY educators introduce STEM concepts related to the wind tunnel, including:
- What is Engineering? How did engineers work together to create this technology?
- What forces are at work on objects in the wind tunnel?
- iFLY Educators lead students through the derivation of the equation for terminal velocity.
- What does the free body diagram look like for a skydiver at various stages of free fall? How would the velocity and acceleration vs. time graphs look?
- How does an object’s “frontal area” affect its velocity in the wind tunnel?
- Students observe a ball demonstration. They predict how fast each ball will fly in the wind tunnel, test their predictions, and discuss the results.
- Students work in small groups to calculate their own terminal velocities. At the end of the field trip they will compare their actual and predicted values and discuss reasons for their error.
- Students use a scale and measuring tapes to measure their body dimensions in SI units. They convert from English to standard units when necessary.
- Students use algebraic reasoning to solve the equation for terminal velocity.
Training & Safety
- Each child will be trained by our flight instructors who are certified to IBA flight standards
- The children will learn the correct body position, hand signals and safety rules
- The children will be outfitted in flight suits, safety goggles, ear plugs and helmets
- Each child will fly one-on-one with an instructor at all times
- iFLY has flown over 6 million people worldwide, from ages 3 to 103 & we have a 100% commitment to safety
- Each child will fly for 1 minute in the tunnel–the equivalent of 1 1/2 skydives
- High flights, a ‘ride’ to the top of the tunnel, are available at an additional charge.
- Each class gets digital photos emailed to the teacher
- Each class gets a video of their flights
- Teachers & chaperones fly too!
- Price varies based on customized program. Contact your education program sales team by completing and submitting the form below.
- Extra flight time can be added to your program