The Elementary School Education Program at iFLY uses iFLY’s unique vertical wind tunnel facility to make STEM exciting, relevant, and accessible to students. Our curriculum has been designed by STEM educators and scientists to support STEM learning in your classroom. Every iFLY field trip includes:
- Our 23-page pre-field trip packet (Common Core) (TEKS) includes a teacher guide, a standards alignment chart, and a sample script
- Our colorful and engaging presentation explains the science behind wind tunnels, fluids and solids, drag and gravity, acceleration and terminal velocity, and more
- Our post-field trip activities packet will help you reinforce what your students learned at iFLY
- You can also download the lab worksheet in advance to see what the lab covers
- We’ve put together a great list of online resources as well
- For basic information please click here
- Students plan and carry out an investigation about parachutes
- Students identify one parachute variable to experiment with
- They use stopwatches, measuring tapes, and a scale to measure their parachutes
- Students record their data and share conclusions with the class
Training & Safety
- Each child will be trained by our ace flight instructors who are certified to IBA flight standards
- The children will learn the correct body position, hand signals and safety rules
- The children will be outfitted in flight suits, safety goggles, ear plugs and helmets
- Each child will fly one-on-one with an instructor at all times
- iFLY has flown over 6 million people worldwide, from ages 3 to 103 & we have a 100% commitment to safety
- Each child will fly for 1 minute in the tunnel–the equivalent of 1 1/2 skydives
- High flights, a ‘ride’ to the top of the tunnel, are available at an additional charge.
- iFLY educators introduce STEM concepts related to the wind tunnel, including:
- What is Engineering? How did engineers work together to create this technology?
- What are the differencess between solids and fluids?
- What forces are at work on objects in the wind tunnel?
- Students observe a ball demonstration, observing the differences between the balls and how this affects their flight in the wind tunnel
- Each class gets digital photos emailed to the teacher
- Each class gets a video of their flights
- Teachers & chaperones fly too!
- Price varies based on customized program. Contact your education program sales team by completing and submitting the form below.
- Extra flight time can be added to your program